Rounding up the Yanks abroad in non-Premier League competition this past weekend:
• DaMarcus Beasley and Maurice Edu both saw time for Rangers in a 3-1 win over St. Mirren on Saturday in the Scottish Premier League. Beasley started and played 64 minutes, while Edu came on with 26 minutes to go, drawing a roar from the home crowd for his game-winning goal against Celtic the previous week.
• Carlos Bocanegra started, went the distance, and scored the winner in Ligue 1 side Rennes’s 1-0 win over Monaco on Saturday.
• In Germany, Michael Bradley went the full 90 in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 3-0 loss to Borussia Dortmund on Saturday, while Steve Cherundolo returned to action for the first time since injuring his shoulder in late January, playing 11 minutes in Hannover’s 2-1 win over Frieburg.
• In Greece, Eddie Johnson played for ten minutes of Aris’s 1-1 draw with Kavala. His American teammate, Freddy Adu, dressed but did not play.
• American striker and MLS alum Herculez Gomez (LA, Colorado, KC) scored for the fourth consecutive game for his new Mexican club Puebla on Sunday, but it was not enough to stave off a 4-1 defeat to UNAM.
• In other Mexican league games, Jose Torres started and played 90 minutes in Pachuca’s 3-0 loss at Monterrey on Saturday, and Edgar Castillo went the full 90 in Tigres’ 1-0 loss at Indios on Sunday.
• In the Championship on Saturday, Jay DeMerit started and played 90 minutes in Watford’s 2-0 loss to Derby County, Frank Simek saw 45 minutes of action in Sheffield Wednesday’s 2-0 win over Liecester City, and Kenny Cooper rode the pine in Plymouth Argyle’s 1-1 draw with Preston North End.
• Brad Friedel was between the pipes for Aston Villa as it staged a furious rally from a 2-0 deficit to a 4-2 win over Championship side Reading in the the FA Cup quarterfinals on Sunday. Villa striker John Carew hit three second- half goals to spark the win.
• In Denmark, the injured Benny Feilhaber (ankle) sat out Aarhus’s 5-0 loss to FC Copenhagen on Sunday while yesterday, Marcus Tracy did not dress and Chris Rolfe dressed but did not play in Aalborg’s 2-1 win over FC Nordsjaelland. Michael Parkhurst dressed but did not play for Nordsjaelland.