Backpost reader Ref Baiter calls this “hands down one of the Top 5 strikes I have seen in years.”
It’s Andrea Pirlo’s 40-yard tracer into the upper 90 for AC Milan against Parma on Saturday:
Not too shabby. We would never argue with the RB (we leave that to the referees), but here are five goals from the past year that give Pirlo’s strike a run for the money:
1. Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s World Cup semifinal rocket:
2. Danny Rose’s full volley against Arsenal (London derby; Premier League debut; and we agree with the cat):
3. Clint Dempsey’s Europa League far-post chip (put Fulham into the final):
4. Alex’s free kick vs Arsenal on Sunday (Powerful, swerving, unstoppable—like the Ref Baiter after a few pints):
5. Juan Pablo Angel’s last-second game-winner vs Houston (definition of clutch; and a little love for MLS….):
Those are some golazos. Long may they survive copyright claims.
PS: U.S. defender Oguchi Onyewu did not dress for Milan’s 1-0 win over Parma. He has yet to play this season.