Multiple emails flew into the BP headquarters during the past two days as readers hazarded their best guesses at Wednesday’s Yanks-in-England Quiz.
Today, we’re pleased to announce our winner, Chicago-based reader Abes Army. He nailed six of the 10 questions, and wins a copy of Brilliant Orange—David Winner’s entertaining portrait of Dutch soccer and how it got that way—for his efforts. Strong work, Abes Army.
Here are the questions again, followed by the correct answers:
1. How many Americans have played in the Premier League this season? (Ninety-nine point-nine-percent sure it’s a record, too.)
ANSWER: 10. Friedel, Howard, Hahnemann, Lichaj, Spector Holden, Jones, Dempsey, Bradley, Johnson. (Guzan is on the books at Aston Villa but made no Prem appearances this season before going on loan to Hull.)
2. How many Americans have played in the Premier League since it began in 1992?
ANSWER: 33. See complete list here.
3. Which American has the most Premier League appearances?
ANSWER: Brad Friedel, 389 and counting.
4. Which Yank has the most Premier League goals?
ANSWER: Brian McBride, 36 (Premier League competition only. Clint Dempsey is second with 30, and counting.]
5. I’ve played for four Premier League teams, more than any other Yank. Who am I?
ANSWER: Kasey Keller (Leicester, Tottenham, Southampton, Fulham)
6. I had a brief stint at Coventry. It did not go well. Who am I?
ANSWER: Cobi Jones
7. I’m probably the most obscure player on the list. I made one appearance for Bolton, as an 85th-minute sub, in 2006. Later made 14 appearances for Toronto FC. Still only 23, but currently unattached, I am….?
ANSWER: Johann Smith. He was signed to the Bolton academy as a Connecticut high-schooler.
8. Which outfield American player has the most Premier League appearances?
ANSWER: McBride, 148
9. Who has more Premier League appearances, Landon Donvoan or Benny Feilhaber?
ANSWER: Trick question—they each have 10.
10. I am about to overtake Eddie Lewis (25 appearances for Fulham and Derby County) for 18 th place on the appearances list for Americans in the Prem. Who am I?
ANSWER: Stuart Holden.
*Bonus trivia: McBride and Dempsey are currently co-holders of the record for the most goals scored by an American (nine) in a Premier League season. Deuce has 11 games left to break the record. (And yes, that means his missed penalty against Chelsea would have given him the record.)
Some of the guys involved in our quiz will be in action this weekend, when the FA Cup returns to the fore in England.
On Saturday, American netminder Tim Howard and Everton travel to Stamford Bridge for a fourth-round meeting with Chelsea (Fox Soccer Channel, 7:30 a.m. EST).
The following day, U.S. national teamers Stuart Holden and Clint Dempsey could square off as Bolton visits Fulham in a fifth-round FA Cup tilt (Fox Soccer Plus, 11:00 a.m. [delay]).
On President’s Day, U.S. defender-turned-West Ham midfielder Jonathan Spector should be involved as the Hammers host second-tier Burnley in the fifth-round of the FA Cup.